Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Generation X: Nostalgia or Genius?

Someone recently sent me a CD copy of Generation X's first album, which I have not heard in at least 20 years. And, I confess, it sounds awesome to me. What a great album. Or have I simply succumbed in my old age to pathetic nostalgia?

Anyone care to share thoughts on the new Social Distortion album? the song on the radio sounded more rock than punk rock, but I met Mike Ness at a GBH show back in the day, and he seemed like a cool dude, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say nostalgia, since that album was out long before your tenth birthday. And the first wave of punk was long past by your teenage years. So it's equatable to listening to Jump Blues from the 30s/40s, it's just good music to get the blood flowing. It would be a bullshit nostalgia trip if were part of that 'movement' at the time, and you needed an ego boost by talking bullshit about 'well back in my day'..........

But then again, what do I know.

New SD album is like Barry Manilow. WTF? SD needs loud guitars, not candlelight piano for an airport lounge.

Anonymous said...

Genius and I just had to go and listen to some classic Siouxsie (The Scream) after reading your post -- still purely brilliant

Anonymous said...

The first Gen X album is bona fide genius. However, that doesn't mean you haven't thusly succumbed.

I don't think a new Social D album is worth a bother. Mike Ness may have been a nice guy, but that is neither a sufficient, nor even a necessary condition for making a good record. Then again, my take on his career arc is that his greatest music was performed as a scrawny, spiky-haired dork who wore eyeliner ("it makes people have a sympathetic view about you").

the sex toys said...

To my mind one and all must go through this.

гид в барселоне said...

I read a lot of helpful info in this post!